16 May Four Rugged Recipes for the Single Man on the Go
Here at Mr. Derk we look out for our gentlemen and make sure they not only dress well, but also eat well.
As a single man, you don’t want to make too much food because hey, who’s going to eat it? Leftovers are only good for a day before you get tired of them.
So, we’ve compiled a full day of recipes that are easy, delicious, and impressive. Plus, you can find all of these ingredients in Edmonton.
The Mountain Man Breakfast
Photo Credit: Lodge Cast Iron
This breakfast, originally made for six to eight people, can be altered to feed one hungry man like yourself. We’ve already adjusted the recipe for one below, so you can get cookin’ ASAP.
½ Pound of Sausage
½ Pound of Frozen Hashbrown Potatoes
3 Eggs Beaten
¾ Cup of Cheese (of your choosing, Mr. Derk doesn’t judge)
Spices of Choice
Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Fry sausage on top of stove and drain oil on paper towel once they’re cooked.
- Using the oil from the sausages left in the pan, fry the hashbrowns and put them in the bottom of a circular cake pan for baking.
- Layer the fried sausage on top of the potatoes.
- Pour beaten eggs on top of sausage and potatoes.
- Cover in shredded cheese and any spices you like (salt, pepper, cayenne, paprika, basil, etc.).
- Put in oven and bake for 10-15 minutes. The thinner it’s spread out, the less time is needed.
- Take out and devour!
Beast Burger Lunch
Photo Credit: Sweet C’s Designs
This burger is packed with flavour. It’s called a Green Chili Whiskey Burger. The great thing about burgers is you can pre-make the patties and freeze the ones you don’t need until next time.
1 Batch of Whiskey Honey Onions
1 Pound Ground Beef (made into patties)
1 TBSP of Ghee (if available)
Salt and Pepper (and any other spices you like)
Slices of Cheddar Cheese
4 Brioche Hamburger Buns
Green Chili Ingredients:
1 Cup Diced Green Chilis
1 TBSP Garlic Powder
1 TSP Cumin
1 TBSP Butter
Photo Credit: Sweet C’s Designs
- Fry up the whiskey honey onions until they’re caramelized and set aside.
- Melt ghee in frying pan with leftover fried onion juice for flavour and place burgers in pan.
- After burgers are done to your liking, place cheese on top of patty to melt. Keep pan covered.
- Toast buns.
- Add the green chilli to the burger bun, then place burger on top. Garnish with onions and voila!
An Italian Dinner for One Please
Photo Credit: Budget Bytes
Have sausage leftover from the breakfast recipe? Use it in Italian Sausage Stuffed Zucchini. This recipe has also been altered for a smaller portion.
1 TBSP Olive Oil
½ Pound of Italian Sausage (or use regular sausage for less intense flavour)
1 Clove Garlic
¼ Cup Bread Crumbs
1 Cup Shredded Italian Cheese Blend
Jar of Pasta Sauce
Spices to Taste
Preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Slice zucchini in half lengthwise and remove center with spoon. Put zucchini halves on baking sheet and chop up removed centers. Set aside.
- Cook sausages in olive oil in a skillet over medium heat.
- Add garlic and chopped zucchini and sauté until soft. Remove from heat.
- Mix sausage, sautéd zucchini, bread crumbs, half of the cheese, and a quarter cup of pasta sauce in bowl. Add spices as preferred.
- Scoop mix into zucchini halves and pour rest of sauce. Sprinkle some more cheese on top.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes and add more cheese a few minutes before taking it out.
- Dig in!
Dessert on the Go
Photo Credit: Kirbie Cravings
These brownies are great for the working man on the go who wants to satisfy his sweet tooth. With only three ingredients and three steps, you’ll become a dessert master in no time.
1 ¼ Cup Nutella
2 Large Eggs
½ Cup All Purpose Flour
Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Grease 9 inch x 9 inch baking pan.
- Mix all ingredients in a bowl until smooth.
- Pour into baking pan.
- Bake for about 15 minutes or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean.
- Cut ‘em up and serve ‘em up!